[R-sig-eco] script editor

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Apr 24 02:21:48 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 01:01 +0100, amurta at ipimar.pt wrote:
> I have worked a lot with R on Linux (my old computer at work), FreeBSD
> (my current computer at work), windows (my laptop at home) and MacOSX
> (my wife's laptop). In all these platforms I've tried several editors:
> emacs, gvim, kate, crimson, tinn-R, nedit, jedit, and others. All of
> them are better or worse in particular points (gvim had the prettiest
> syntax highlighting for R), and surely have been improving with time.
> Still, the one that I found most convenient was emacs + ess,
> especially because I can work exactly the same way in all operating
> systems.

Another advantage of ESS+emacs is that you can use it to provide the
same interface for BUGS, JAGS, Stata, S-PLUS, among others. Even SAS (if
you must.) ESS is meant to be a "universal" interface to a large number
of statistical programming languages.

cheers,

Simon.

> Cheers
>
> Alberto
>

> Quoting Jarrett Byrnes <jebyrnes at ucdavis.edu>:
>
> > So, so far it seems like we have lots of votes for Tinn-R, a few for
> > Emacs, and for those on linux, Rkward looks pretty rocking.
> >
> > For those of us on OSX who are using the mac interface (I'm assuming
> > emacs won't pipe to it) are there other good editors out there beyond
> > the one that comes with R.app
> >
> > Oh, and a quick note that I found buried in some documentation rather
> > than an intuitive place: The R.app editor does allow you to pipe
> > selected code to the console.  Highlight it, and hit apple-enter.
> >
> > -Jarrett

>   Alberto G. Murta
> IPIMAR - National Institute for Fisheries and Marine Research
> Av. Brasilia; 1449-006; Lisboa; Portugal; tel. +351 213027120
> http://alb.murta.googlepages.com

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.