[R-sig-eco] script editor

Brian Knaus knausb at science.oregonstate.edu
Wed Apr 23 18:23:57 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

I currently use and enjoy emacs with ess on Ubuntu Linux.  I really
like it because it provides tool such as coloring of comments, quotes,
functions in different colors of text.  It has parentheses matching.
And it also allows for sending lines, sections or entire buffers of
commands to R for execution.  You can find info on ESS including the
previously mentioned Windows version at:

http://ess.r-project.org/

I do think it is noteworthy to point out that there are multiple
'flavors' of emacs out there which I have yet to really figure out
(e.g., emacs, xemacs).  Some of these provide the traditional (Unix)
key bindings for copy & paste, which to most Windows users will appear
confusing.  I am currently using a version of emacs which appears to
be version 22.1.1 which claims to have been 'modified by Ubuntu' which
allows ctrl-c ctrl-v copy and paste.  This makes transition from
Windows much easier.

In short, emacs is very powerful but will probably appear complicated
to new users.  There are ways around this and it is worth the effort
to learn the key bindings if you use R frequently.

--
Brian J. Knaus
Ph.D. Candidate