[R-sig-eco] script editor

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 23 17:36:48 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 07:36 -0700, Christian A. Parker wrote:
> I also like Tinn-R on a windows machine.
>
> But I have another question, Ive recently switched one of my computers
> over to Ubuntu (Linux). Currently I am just using Kate+Konsole and to be
> honest it works great accept for the lack a send lines command. So I was
> wondering if anyone out there knew of a sendlines mod for Kate

Kate has the Pipe to console menu item, which works either by sending
the whole buffer or by sending the highlighted region. You can assign
this a shortcut under the Settings Menu > Configure Shortcuts..., find
the relevant command, click the image of the keyboard key and add in a
keyboard short cut of your choosing. Make sure you don't overwrite
anything useful - I just tried this with Alt+R.

Now you can use (e.g.) Alt+R to pipe regions or the whole buffer to the
konsole running at the bottom of the screen. Just start R in the
embedded konsole first and it is read to be piped to.

> or had
> some advice or knew of a tutorial for EMACS+ESS for the reluctant Tinn-R
> user?

Personally I use Emacs+ESS on my Fedora boxes, but I still can't
remember how to copy/paste all the time using Emacs commands... so not
the best person to be providing advice.