[R-sig-eco] "Ecology" or "Environmental sciences?"

Glen A Sargeant gsargeant at usgs.gov
Fri Apr 18 17:10:50 CEST 2008

One thing I have gained from R is a deep appreciation for long-range
strategic thinking about the development of software and user communities.
 So, rather than simply inviting everyone into a "big tent," I think we
should first take a look at the tent itself and perhaps consider some
zoning regulations!

It seems to me that the developers and participants are moving toward an
"Environmental Sciences" or "Natural sciences" list and not an "Ecology"
list.  I don't see anything wrong with that, but I foresee the future
spin-off of a list populated by ecologists.  The name of this list should
accurately describe the contents: if coverage is broad, we should adopt a
more inclusive name and cede the term "Ecology" for future use by
ecologists.

Glen

Glen A. Sargeant, Ph.D.
Research Wildlife Biologist/Statistician
Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
8711 37th Street SE
Jamestown, ND  58401

Phone: (701) 253-5528
E-mail:  glen_sargeant at usgs.gov