[R-sig-eco] ecology or environmetrics?

Hollister.Jeff at epamail.epa.gov Hollister.Jeff at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Apr 17 14:14:56 CEST 2008

Felix,

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree completely.

I take a very broad view when defining ecology (i.e. biotic and abiotic
interactions), and with that the use of R in hydrology, climate, land
use change, etc. are all valid topics of discussion for this list.  As
such, my definition of what R-sig-ecology should encompass is right in
line with what you suggest.  Sara and I have not yet had a chance to
pull together a description for the list, but we will be sure to make it
as inclusive as possible.  We will take a look at the CRAN task view and
make sure our description is in line with that.  That description will
appear on the R-sig-ecology main page so all who sign up will see it.

Lastly, since this is a dynamic list (~330 members is less than 24
hours) what it eventually becomes will be defined more by suggestions
such as yours and less by my original ideas.  Thanks again!

Cheers,
Jeff

***************************
Dr. Jeffrey W. Hollister
US EPA
Atlantic Ecology Division
27 Tarzwell Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 782-9655
***************************

             "Felix Andrews"
             <felix at nfrac.org
             Sent by:                 r-sig-ecology at r-project.org
             r-sig-ecology-bo                                        cc
             unces at r-project.
             org                                                Subject
                                      [R-sig-eco] ecology or
                                      environmetrics?
             04/17/2008 01:20
             AM

Hi all,

Can I suggest broadening the scope of this SIG to include
environmental research in general (e.g. hydrology), including ecology?
This is sometimes called Environmetrics. That would correspond roughly
to the CRAN Task View "Analysis of Ecological and Environmental Data".
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html

Regards,
Felix

--