[R-sig-dyn-mod] Individual-based modelling

Jeremy Chacon chaco001 at umn.edu
Wed Jul 5 15:50:53 CEST 2017

Can you give a bit more info on what you mean by extending to a flock?
That probably affects how to do it.  What I think you mean is to consider
each sheep an individual "island" in the flock which is a sort of
"archipelago," where the mites can immigrate to and emigrate from different
sheep with different rates. If this is right, you could look into
metapopulation modeling.  This generally means that each sheep would be
treated individually, but connected to the other sheep by dispersal of the
mites.  This could all be done with a single system of ODEs, without the
need for a bigger structure ("two-stage model").