[R-sig-dyn-mod] masked graphics:matplot (was: error attaching package deSolve)

Thomas Petzoldt thomas.petzoldt at tu-dresden.de
Fri Jan 8 16:50:22 CET 2016

Hi Darin,

thanks for installing deSolve. The message that something is masked is
normal intended behavior and NOT an error. It is not even a warning.

It just means that deSolve re-defines or extends the original behavior
of function "matplot", to make it more user-friendly for deSolve
objects. In case of package deSolve, "matplot" works as expected and
users normally don't need to care about it, except another package
introduces another incompatible redefinition. The notice makes you aware
of this, so that you have the choice of trusting the package authors and
just use:

matplot()

or if you don't trust them or in case of conflicting redefinitions from
several loaded packages, you may consider to use:

graphics::matplot()

to get the original behavior.

Such redefinition/extension is sometimes unavoidable and in the interest
of the user. Many other prominent packages do the same.

Regards,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Petzoldt