[R-sig-dyn-mod] Complex-step derivatives

Ravi Varadhan ravi.varadhan at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 17 19:11:39 CEST 2015

This is a major restriction with complex-step derivatives - it can only apply to functions whose computer implementation extends their domain to complex numbers.  I don't see how this can be done in a straightforward manner for ODEs, PDEs, quadratures, and other complicated numerical analysis techniques.
Best,
Ravi