[R-sig-dyn-mod] New R packages supporting compiled code

Daniel Kaschek daniel.kaschek at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Apr 19 09:08:43 CEST 2015

Dear Karline,

I had a look at your ccSolve package and it looks very nice. I would
like to comment on two things:

1. Jacobians: When implementing my first BVPs with compiled code I
found it especially tedious to compute and implement the jacobian of
the system. Therefore, I implemented a function jacobianSymb() in my
cOde package that symbolically computes the jacobian for a function
defined as character vector. If you had plans to implement something
similar, you might just have a look at my code and use it if you like.

2. Parameter estimation in ODEs: Our group has been working on this
topic for many years now. In our experience, optimization with
derivatives computed from finite differences of the model solutions is
quite unstable and time consuming. Optimization is improved a lot when
you compute the sensitivities along with the model states. In
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0074335
you find a comparison of different optimization stategies
(deterministic vs. stochastic, finite differences vs. sensitivities),
Figures 5, 6 and 7.

Best regards,
Daniel

Daniel Kaschek