[R-sig-dyn-mod] R-sig-dynamic-models: C Compiler for ODE solving in R

Soheil Soltani ssoheil at chalmers.se
Thu Apr 9 13:44:59 CEST 2015

Hello,

I'm rather new to R, and I'm really interested in solving a system of ODE using a compiled language. I have done the same thing with MATLAB using a MEX file. I read through the vignette on writing code in compiled languages where I found that it was recommended to use GNU GCC compiler and that it is much more complicated to get other compilers communicate with R. The problem is that I don't have GCC (I work with visual studio on a win64 system), and when I searched a little on the net I couldn't find a clear and stepwise guide on how to install GCC. Could someone help me with this please? How complicated it would be to keep using visual studio together with R? I tried to compile the C-file using system("R CMD SHLIB mech.c"), but R threw the following error:

make: *** No rule to make target `mech.o', needed by `mech.dll'.  Stop.
Warning message:
running command 'make -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-31~1.3/etc/x64/Makeconf" -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-31~1.3/share/make/winshlib.mk" SHLIB="mech.dll" WIN=64 TCLBIN=64 OBJECTS="mech.o"' had status 2
Warning message:
running command 'R CMD SHLIB mech.c' had status 1

Best regards,
Soheil