[R-sig-dyn-mod] Describing a modelling process (SIMEON LISOVSKI)

Stephen Paul Ellner spe2 at cornell.edu
Tue May 20 16:07:33 CEST 2014

Simeon,

instead of using approxfun and
      B <- birth(t)
you could just do B <- dnorm(t,50,25) inside the model function. It's the same effect, but all the models will run faster.

And I might describe that by saying

Birth rate was assumed to vary seasonally, increasing steadily to a peak at day 50 and then decreasing. I used a Gaussian bell-shaped curve to describe this pattern, specifically $B(t)=h \phi(t; \mu=50, \sigma=25)$ where $\phi$ is the probability density function of a Gaussian distribution with the given mean and standard deviation. The maximum birth rate (births/day) is then $B(50)=h/(25\sqrt{2 \pi})$.

Steve

Stephen P. Ellner
Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, E339 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853-2701
Phone (607) 254-4221 FAX (607) 255-8088