[R-sig-dyn-mod] differential equations with unknown inputs?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Mar 24 22:40:49 CET 2011

Hello:

       How would you approach solving a linear differential equation
system with constant coefficients and unknown inputs sampled at
irregular time intervals?  I'm trying to model the motion of a bridge
driven by traffic and heating with a 6-dimensional linear state space
model with constant coefficients but with no knowledge of the traffic
and large gaps in my records on the temperature.

       I perceive 3 primary options:  dlm, deSolve, and sde.

             deSolve:  I'm concerned that the difference between
observation and transition noise could be large in my current application.

             dlm:  This seems like the best option, because unknown
inputs can be handled as transition noise.  The primary difficulty I see
is in translating the differential equation into a difference equation,
including estimating the noise variance as proportional to
integral(exp(A(t-tau))d.tau).

             sde:  It might make most sense to model this as a
stochastic differential equation.  However, I have the impression that
sde will not handle a multivariate state vector.

	  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this.

	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer Graves