[R-sig-Debian] Problem Installing R 4.3.3 on Vanilla based Jammy Ubuntu

Marco Blanchette m@rcob|@nchette @end|ng |rom |c|oud@com
Thu Mar 28 02:20:27 CET 2024

Dirk, totally right! We used to be extremely sensitized about our hardware flavors 20 years ago! With the advent of cloud based computing (in my case AWS) and the migration of Macs to intel base chip, this kinda find away!!!

On top, the error thrown during the docker build was far from easy to diagnose. Bottom line is that by specifying an architecture at build time, the CRAN based steps works as advertised

Running on Mac with M1 chip the following completes as expected. But this is a good wake up call for me who just switched to a new Mac in January, doing consulting works on serverless infrastructure , no more huge AWS based instances to build on!

Thanks a lot

Working solution:

$ docker build -t r-base --platform linux/amd64 .

Dockerfile:
FROM ubuntu:22.04

USER root

ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND noninteractive

## Configure Ubuntu for R install
RUN apt update \
  && apt install -y --no-install-recommends \
  software-properties-common \
  dirmngr \
  gnupg2 \
  wget \
  && wget -q -O - https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/marutter_pubkey.asc \
  | tee -a /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/cran_ubuntu_key.asc  \
  && add-apt-repository -y "deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu $(lsb_release -cs)-cran40/"

## Install R
RUN apt update -y \
  && apt install -y r-base \