[R-sig-Debian] Problem Installing R 4.3.3 on Vanilla based Jammy Ubuntu

Michael Rutter m@rutter @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 28 00:57:42 CET 2024

On 3/27/24 13:33, marcoblanchette using icloud.com wrote:
> Hi r-sig-debian list, first time posting here!
>
> Something changed with the latest release of the R package for Ubuntu 22.04. When trying to install within a Docker image with base Ubuntu LTS 22.04 (Jammy) using the following Docker file (that I have been using for several years in many projects)  that follows the install step on the CRAN Ubuntu page

Marco,

Clipping a bunch of the output for clarity.  Found the issue, but I am
not a Docker expert or regular user, so I am not going to offer a solution.

I found the issue while using a Jaunty image on a M1 Mac.  The problem
is that on the Mac, it is looking for ARM packages.  CRAN only has amd64
and i386, which is why r-base (which has architecture: All) is correct,
but r-base-core only has the original Jaunty ARM build.  Also explains
why my PPA works, as that has ARM builds.

So this appears to be a hardware issue.  Hope this helps.
Michael