[R-sig-Debian] help installing R on Linux Mint 21.2

Luben Dimov |uben@d|mov @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jan 2 01:39:04 CET 2024

(re-sending because somehow the 2nd half didn't get included, sorry)

Could you direct me to a newbie-friendly instructions for installing
the latest versions of R and RStudio on Linux Mint 21.2? I followed
instructions I could find, but no luck with managing to get RStudio
(tho I did install R).

System:
  Kernel: 6.2.0-39-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: MATE
1.26.0
    Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

I was able to install what I assume is the latest R:

R version 4.3.2 (2023-10-31) -- "Eye Holes"

through the terminal following instructions for Ubuntu (on which Linux
Mint is based) from https://linuxtldr.com/installing-r-and-
rstudio/ and https://www.linuxcapable.com/how-to-install-r-lang-on-
linux-mint/
but I can't get RStudio to install. The error I get is:

sudo dpkg -i rstudio-*.deb
Selecting previously unselected package rstudio.
(Reading database ... 621683 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to unpack rstudio-1.4.1717-amd64.deb ...
Unpacking rstudio (1.4.1717) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of rstudio:
 rstudio depends on libssl1.0.0 | libssl1.0.2 | libssl1.1; however:
  Package libssl1.0.0 is not installed.
  Package libssl1.0.2 is not installed.
  Package libssl1.1 is not installed.
 rstudio depends on libclang-dev; however:
  Package libclang-dev is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package rstudio (--install):
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26+mint3+victoria) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (2.1-2) ...
 rstudio

Trying to get that libclang-dev:
sudo apt install libclang-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
 libclang-dev : Depends: libclang-14-dev (>= 14~) but it is not going
to be installed
 rstudio : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.0.2 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.1 but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages
(or specify a solution).

Below is the outputs when I run a few things that I thought might
help...

sudo apt install libssl-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
libssl-dev is already the newest version (3.0.2-0ubuntu1.12).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
 rstudio : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.0.2 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libclang-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages
(or specify a solution).

sudo apt install libclang-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
 libclang-dev : Depends: libclang-14-dev (>= 14~) but it is not going
to be installed
 rstudio : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.0.2 but it is not installable or
                    libssl1.1 but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages
(or specify a solution).

apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rstudio
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 831 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

So basically running around in circles...

Thank you for any help with this!
Luben