[R-sig-Debian] custom built R will not change BLAS/LAPACK with update-alternatives

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rd|@z02 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Dec 30 22:20:09 CET 2023

On Sat, 30-December-2023, at 19:57:10, Ivan Krylov <krylov.r00t using gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:37:06 +0100
> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02 using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  configure: searching for an external BLAS
>> configure: searching for BLAS in default libraries
>> checking for dgemm_... no
>> configure: searching for OpenBLAS
>
> The code implementing this logic is in m4/R.m4, starting around line
> 2600. If --with-blas is given without an argument, the configure script
> goes searching for various BLASes. It happens to try -lopenblas before
> -lblas, so that's what ends up being linked.

Thanks. Yes, I just realized that (see message I just sent).

> Does it help to use --with-blas=blas or --with-blas=-lblas so that the
> configure script doesn't try to detect it automatically?

Yes, it does: if I use

--with-blas="-lblas"
--with-lapack="-llapack"

then I can later change the library used via update-alternatives.

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-31