[R-sig-Debian] custom built R will not change BLAS/LAPACK with update-alternatives

Sat Dec 30 20:24:49 CET 2023

On 30 December 2023 at 21:57, Ivan Krylov wrote:
| On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:37:06 +0100
| Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02 using gmail.com> wrote:
|
| >  configure: searching for an external BLAS
| > configure: searching for BLAS in default libraries
| > checking for dgemm_... no
| > configure: searching for OpenBLAS
|
| The code implementing this logic is in m4/R.m4, starting around line
| 2600. If --with-blas is given without an argument, the configure script
| goes searching for various BLASes. It happens to try -lopenblas before
| -lblas, so that's what ends up being linked.

Yes. My hint about the build-dependencies aimed at that.

| Does it help to use --with-blas=blas or --with-blas=-lblas so that the
| configure script doesn't try to detect it automatically?

I used to set it that way (still commented out in debian/rules) but it is not
needed AFAICT provided one has suitable packages to build against installed
(in the chroot, or container, or on the machine).

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org