[R-sig-Debian] Is r2u at 3.4.1?

Chris Evans chr|@ho|d @end|ng |rom p@yctc@org
Sun Aug 13 09:12:37 CEST 2023

I am putting this here as it may be of general and not just my own
interest.  I am currently running 4.3.1 on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS but am
hitting an issue that the magick package won't update because
libmagick++-dev won't update because, presumably, of two repositories in
my sources.list disagreeing about versions required.  That's not so
urgent an issue for me that I wont just wait to see if it sorts itself
out.  In my experience such collisions sometimes do.

However, it prompted me to some questions:

1) Is this telling me it's time I went to r2u which does seem a "very
good thing"?  Any reason NOT to change?

2) I read https://eddelbuettel.github.io/r2u/, not for the first time,
and it looks simple, even I should  be able to do that.  Any gotchas?
See #3:

3) but it says things I don't really understand about the R version:
    "Current versions are based on R 4.3.0, and BioConductor release
3.17 packages are provided when required by CRAN packages. Binaries are
still R 4.2.* based (unless a forced rebuild was required) but the
containers provide R 4.3.0. We expect to switch to R 4.3.0-based builds
very soon."

    3a) I don't understand why "binaries", presumably binary packages,
would be at a different release from ... what?  What is not binary?
Pure R source packages?
    3b) _IS_ it still at 4.3.0 as I'm at 3.4.1 and would be a bit
reluctant to go backwards down the release sequence?

TIA and enormous respect to Dirk for this and all the other work he does
for R,

Chris

--
Chris Evans (he/him)
Visiting Professor, UDLA, Quito, Ecuador & Honorary Professor,