[R-sig-Debian] Docs for CRAN: install R

Thu May 12 03:35:23 CEST 2022

On 11 May 2022 at 13:24, David Winsemius wrote:
| Dear CRAN webmaster;

It's just Michael and myself looking after that page. CRAN mirrors it.

| I think the code at the bottom of the first code block on the Ubuntu page:
|
| https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
|
| should be changed to:
|
| add-apt-repository"deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu
| $(lsb_release-cs)-cran42/"

That came out hard to read but is also likely wrong. The 'cran40' does not
refer to a version but _to the API change_ just how we one with cran35.

And for what it is worth the listed repo works just fine:

edd using brad:~$ apt-cache policy r-base-core
r-base-core:
  Installed: 4.2.0-1.2204.0
  Candidate: 4.2.0-1.2204.0
  Version table:
 *** 4.2.0-1.2204.0 500
        500 https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu jammy-cran40/ Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.1.2-1ubuntu2 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages
edd using brad:~$

(I had two entries in there for interim/personal PPAs of mine.  What is shown
now shows you that Ubuntu 22.04 has a) the R that was current when it was
cut, in this case 4.1.2, in the distro itself, and b) because of volunteer
effors also R 4.2.0 via the CRAN mirror at the listed address.

Makes sense?

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org