[R-sig-Debian] Trying to install r-stan without using rocker

Mon Jun 13 18:36:23 CEST 2022

Jesse,

On 13 June 2022 at 12:19, Jesse McMullen-Crummey wrote:
| Hi All,
|
|    I found your mailing list via a stack overflow mention.  I’m currently on my second full day of trying to build a docker container to use as an AWS lambda fcn and am feeling pretty stuck - I was hoping someone here could help.  It needs to support python+R+rstan.

If something does not work, I usually backtrack.

You start from python:3.8-slim-bullseye. That is your right. But this is a
Debian-and-R mailing list, so we may not have started from there.

I maintain and curate several sets of Rocker containers building either on
 - plain Debian as our rocker/r-base which is also the official r-base
 - Ubuntu because I can then use Ubuntu binaries as from c2d4u or now also r2u

If I were, I'd the same. With either base set you should get to 'apt install r-cran-rstan'
easily, and adding your other package is easy. (If you look at work I worked
on recently via its site https://eddelbuettel.github.io/r2u/ you will see
that staring from eg eddelbuettel/r2u:22.04 you can run a single
   Rscript -e 'install.packages(c("rstan", "stringr", "gtools", "tidyr"))'
without issues giving your the R side to which you can then add your Python
requirements. I usually try that first interactively in the same Docker
container.

If all that fails, maybe you want to emphasize Python first and use Anaconda
via mamba. Some folks had good luck with that (but don't mix and match, only
tears result from that).  We cannot help with *conda here.

Dirk

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org