[R-sig-Debian] R 4.1.0 and Graphics Packages

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Fri May 21 10:56:36 CEST 2021

Hi all,

The NEWS for R 4.1.0 contain the note:

- The graphics engine version, R_GE_version, has been bumped to 14 and so
packages that provide graphics devices should be reinstalled

And indeed, I just ran into this and got a

  Graphics API version mismatch

error when using the tikzDevice package with my fresh CRAN backport of R 4.1.0
that Dirk uploaded to experimental. The error went away after reinstalling
tikzDevice.

For CRAN backports users, I just added a note on the Debian page

  https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#debian-bullseye-testing

(it will take a while for the mirrors to sync).

Before the r-api system was introduced, I used to set up fresh repositories
when R introduced breaking changes, in order to avoid that an apt-get upgrade
breaks installed R package functionality. This one slipped by my attention.

For the Debian R packages, I think we should find out which of the R packages
in the Debian archive are affected by this (r-cran-rgl, r-cran-svglite, r-cran-
vdiffr which embeds svglite, ggplot2, ...) and add versioned Breaks.

Or should the r-api Version be bumped from r-api-4.0 to r-api-4.1?

Cheers,

Johannes