[R-sig-Debian] [Solved]... was Cpp Error installing CRAN version of MatrixExtra on Ubuntu 18.04

Mon Dec 20 20:42:51 CET 2021

On 20 December 2021 at 11:25, David Winsemius wrote:
| Ran `update.packages()` again and found quite a few not-yet-updated
| packages, many of them fairly essential, but NOT in the directory you
| were worried about, but rather such as in '/usr/lib/R/site-library' and
| '/usr/lib/R/library'
[...]
| Thanks for the impetus to change that annoying, but eventually
| misleading, local user library name. I'd been meaning to do that for a
| while, and thanks for the advice to recheck version numbers. I'm not
| quite sure how I got away with this for so long.

Glad to hear you are sorted out!

For what it is worth I

 - do not use private user libraries [1]
 - run update.packages() (over all of .libPaths()) daily to weekly

No issues.

Dirk

[1] That is personal preference I reflected in the Debian package for your
actively suppressing them til I was told I can't / shouldn't. Now I just
suppress them at my end by setting the env vars to empty strings (and of
course ensure that /usr/local/lib/R/site-library is group-writeable by a
group I am in.)

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org