[R-sig-Debian] Installing packages

Mon Apr 19 00:02:38 CEST 2021

On 18 April 2021 at 17:33, Michael Rutter wrote:
| On 4/18/21 5:17 PM, James Daly wrote:
| > In R, I am having trouble downloading some packages (apaTables, apaStyle,
| > OpenMx, MBESS, gsl). This post

Some of those are not simple but complex. The devil, as always, is in the detail.

| > <https://blog.zenggyu.com/en/post/2018-01-29/installing-r-r-packages-e-g-tidyverse-and-rstudio-on-ubuntu-linux/>
| > makes me think that the problem is that they reference non-R packages.
| > However, I don't know what to do about it. Can anybody help me?
| >
| > Any advice for a new Linux user would be appreciated, too! I am considering
| > hopping to another distro, possibly Debian, once I get the hang of it.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Jimmy
|
| Jimmy,
|
| I would highly recommend reading the web page about Ubuntu on CRAN,
| especially the section about using the c2d4u 4.0 repository.
|
| https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/#get-5000-cran-packages
|
| I would then install the bspm package (Bridge to System Package Manager)
| with (from the Ubuntu command line):
|
| sudo apt install r-cran-bspm
|
| This will utilize apt from within R whenever possible.

Strongly seconded.

I wrote a number of blog posts in the topic which you can find (in reverse
chronological order) below this URL:

   https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/code/r4/

You can skip a few but there are probably at least half a dozen posts on the
very topic of _more easily_ installing CRAN binaries on Ubuntu.

https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org