[R-sig-Debian] R > 4.0.0 on Debian 9 Stretch?

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Tue Sep 22 15:24:39 CEST 2020

Am Dienstag, 22. September 2020, 15:19:44 CEST schrieb Rainer M Krug:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Thanks for the explamnayion - Debian is running in a VM (and nothing really
> installed on it) , and I think the easiest is for me just to install Debian
> 10 and to use that one.

Hi all,

yes, this makes sense. I used to provide backports to oldstable on CRAN, but
recently I am not running any oldstables systems any more, so I am glad to
hear that it's an option for you to just use stable.

Johannes

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Rainer
>
> > On 22 Sep 2020, at 15:14, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 22 September 2020 at 14:49, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > | I know this is likely documented somewhere, but I can’t find it. How can
> > | I install R > 4.0.0 on Debian 9 Stretch?>
> > That is 'oldstable'. You are making a heroic assumption that "some"
> > volunteer prepared a binary for you.
> >
> > Maybe ... that volunteer needs to be you ;-) !
> >
> > On a more serious note, doing that is actually very straightforward
> > because
> > Debian packages are so well structured.  Download the source package from
> > unstable, unpack it on a Debian 9 machine or container or pbuilder or ...
> > and build it. Learn how to create a package repo and upload it somewhere.
> > I have done so in very small scale with Debian packages I needed [1] and
> > more generally "do it all the time" for the Ubuntu systems as Launchpad
> > makes it so easy. [2]
> >
> > We (in the "royal we" sense) could and should probably think about writing
> > a short and simple paper walking through these steps.
> >
> > Dirk
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/eddelbuettel/ppa
> > [2] https://launchpad.net/~edd links to three repos of mine
>
> --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology,
> UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
> Orcid ID: 0000-0002-7490-0066
>
> Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
> University of Zürich
> Office Y34-J-74
> Winterthurerstrasse 190
> 8075 Zürich