[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu 20.10

Sun Oct 25 17:52:43 CET 2020

On 25 October 2020 at 11:37, Frank Harrell wrote:
| I made the mistake of updating to Ubuntu 20.10 from 20.04 before before debian repo supports 20.10.  This broke RcppParallel and plotly.  Any idea with 20.10 will be available for r-cran-* debian packages?

Just continue to point to the focal ("20.04") repos.  They _will_ run because
this is the standard "forward compatible" mode.  Binaries built on older
systems almost always run on newer ones (unless an explicit break happened,
which is rare), just the reverse is not true.

It's not unlike your packages from the previous R version in /usr/local still
working when you upgrade R.

How's 20.10 otherwise? I usually wait about a little "just to let some things
shake out" but will likely upgrade in a month or two.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org