[R-sig-Debian] installation problem for R 4.0 on Debian buster

Mark van der Loo m@rk@v@nder|oo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jun 5 00:31:34 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I just spun up a fresh Debian Buster instance, then I added:

deb http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian buster-cran40/

to /etc/apt/sources.list. I also ran the apt-key command as described here:
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/#secure-apt

So far so good, now when I do the following, I get no joy:

$ sudo apt-get install r-base

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 r-base : Depends: r-recommended (= 4.0.0-1~bustercran.0) but it is not
going to be installed

However, when I use the buster-cran-35 deb line, all works fine. So there
seems to be something going on with buster-cran-40. Is this correct, or am
I missing something?

Thanks,
Mark