[R-sig-Debian] R 4.0 for ARM processors

Paul Teetor p@u|teetor @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Wed Jul 15 16:03:21 CEST 2020

Dear R-SIG-Debian folks,

I seem to be chasing my tail, despite having a simple goal:

- Install R 4.0.2
- On Ubuntu 20.04
- For an ARM processor (not Intel/AMD).

Can someone please suggest a Debian/Ubuntu repository of the required packages (e.g., r-base-core) built for ARM? I can't seem to find one.

(I can find the r-base-core package for R 3.6.3, but not R 4.0.2, built for ARM.)

If there is no such Debian/Ubuntu repository, what would you recommend? Build R 4.0 for ARM from source? Use the cool 'rocker' images for R 4.0? Something else?

Thank you so much for your advice. I must be misunderstanding something. I figured this would be a slam-dunk because (1) R 4.0 is the latest release, and (2) Ubuntu 20.04 is an LTS release, and (3) ARM is a supported architecture, or so I thought.

Paul

PS - Yes, the ARM processors in question are a Raspberry Pi cluster. Don't snicker. Hey, it's got 16 cores, 16 GB RAM total, and a
terabyte of space. And it's paid for, no monthly fee.

Paul Teetor, Elgin, IL USA