[R-sig-Debian] R-4.0.0 and Texlive 2020 installed on EmmabuntusDE4 (Debian Bullseye)

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Tue Apr 28 22:40:51 CEST 2020

Dear Patrice,

thanks for sharing your experience with Debian based distributions. It is
amazing how many distros you tested!

In your situation I would recommend apt pinning for installing texlive 2020
from Debian sid on Debian bullseye aka testing or related systems. Simply
adding sid sources as you did will make your system upgrade to sid. It seems
you partially upgraded some of your test systems to sid and were left with
broken systems.

This will also apply to emmabunt� - if you just added the sid repository
without editing /etc/apt/preferences, you will always pull packages from sid
which may be ok for your use case, but you should be aware of it.

You would need to edit /etc/apt/preferences in order to tell apt to just use
texlive from sid and the other packages from bullseye.

Regarding the command to add my key, this is actually there, but I believe it
was too far down - I just moved the section on secure apt before the section
on the different distributions. Thanks for the hint!

Regarding your attempt to use the backports for bullseye on CRAN for your
Emmabunt�s system, chances are it would have worked if you would have used the
command I am listing there (of course adding sudo):

  sudo apt install -t bullseye-cran40 r-base

instead of simply

  sudo apt install r-base

However, now you have the newest devel version compiled from sources for
checking your packages on Linux which is nice as well!

Kind regards,

Johannes