[R-sig-Debian] CRAN R 4.0.0 for Ubuntu repos missing r-recommend dependency

Michael Rutter m@rutter @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 28 15:55:22 CEST 2020

On 4/28/20 7:49 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 28 April 2020 at 13:31, Thierry Onkelinx wrote:
> | Could there be a typo on
> | https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html? The installation
> | entries mention cran35 for R 4.0. Should that be cran40?
>
> That's a question for Michael who authors this :)  Maybe you can follow up
> with him?  Possibly send him a patch with suggested edits?

- Until I fully test the CRAN site, I strongly suggest using the PPAs
that feed the CRAN site.

https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/rrutter3.5

or

https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/rrutter4.0

I prefer to use the PPAs personally, as one apt-add-repository command
adds the repository and the gpg key with no chance of typos.  Easy to
remove,  as well.

- For Xenial (16.04), I failed to build r-cran-nnet, which is why
r-recommended won't install.  It is trying to use r-cran-nnet built
against R 3.6, which is why it fails.  That has been fixed, and should
be available after the next sync.

- I have updated the README, thanks for correction.  Again, change
should appear on the next sync.

- The process of building the repository on CRAN has a lot of moving
parts, mostly of my own doing.  When a new major version is released, it
takes some time to create the repository and test it.  Part of the issue
that the repository is synced twice a day, so it takes time for changes
to propagate and to test it.  Different mirrors will have different
contents, so it may work on cran.r-project.org but not on
cloud.r-project.org for a couple of hours.

I try not to break things, but sometimes a small bug creeps in.  My
apologizes for that.

When I have tested all the releases to ensure they all work, I will
announce it on this list-serv and on twitter.  Hopefully, I will have
this finished by the end of the day.