[R-sig-Debian] R 3.6.0 for Debian buster

Thu May 9 20:02:33 CEST 2019

On 9 May 2019 at 10:07, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| Kurt, there is one thing that has been bugging me too and I was wondering if
| I could lean on you as I have not had time work it out. It seems that one
| "should" be to set an environment variable to suppress additional
| "non-portable compiler flags used" warnings.  We get those from Debian as
| distro-imposed flags I cannot ("should not") override; they are everywhere:
| Debian, backport, Ubuntu, Michael's PPA, hence Travis, ...  and users are
| confused (see e.g. r-package-devel).
|
| Can you and I pretty-please work either a quick patch we fold in, or a set
| set via an environment variable in the Renviron.site we ship?  I couldn't
| make the latter approach work yet.
|
| Example from most recent Travis build of mine:
|   * checking compilation flags used ... NOTE
|   Compilation used the following non-portable flag(s):
|     ‘-Werror=format-security’ ‘-Wformat’
|   * checking compiled code ... OK
|
| Source https://travis-ci.org/eddelbuettel/digest/builds/530216741
|
| Happy to take off-list.

I would appear that I had forgotten that I had half-fixed that. My
~/.R/check.Renviron contains this at the end

[... stuff omitted ...]
#
# edd Apr 2019
_R_CHECK_COMPILATION_FLAGS_=TRUE
_R_CHECK_COMPILATION_FLAGS_KNOWN_="-Wno-class-memaccess -Wno-ignored-attributes -Wno-misleading-indentation -Wno-unused"

so presumably carrying that line over would help. Sebastian Meyer also kind
sent me pretty mich the same line off-list which he had added to his ~/.Renviron.