[R-sig-Debian] Linux Mint Tessa 19.1 R install glitch

J C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 13 14:44:37 CET 2019

Just in case others hit the same glitch. It's not directly an R issue, but if folk can't get
an install to work, they are not going to use R.

While I've always had a straightforward experience before, this install gave some troubles.

I added the repository
   https://deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic-cran35/

When I "saved" in Software Sources to add the additional repository, I got a malformed repository error.
So I took out the "deb" bit of the line, and it was accepted.

I added the key for Michael Rutter and checked it is not the second key as per
http://rubuntu.netlify.com/post/changes-to-cran-ubuntu-webpage-regarding-apt-secure-key/

Then I got
  "The repository 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic Release' does not have a Release file."

Note no "-cran35". Turns out that Software Sources added a "bionic" so the repository line read
  deb https://deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic bionic-cran35/

Took out the bionic and things worked fine.

JN