[R-sig-Debian] Installing Rstudio and shiny free server on Debian

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Sat Jan 12 22:23:46 CET 2019

On 12 January 2019 at 20:30, Chris Evans wrote:
| I wonder if I'm hitting problems you're not seeing not only because of running stretch/stable but also because of running the i386 version.  I suspect most people are on 64 bit systems now.

Cannot speak to i386. I gave up on it relatively late given that I always had
lower-memory laptops.  It may be time to let that one go.

I can only speak to amd64. Which works *great* and very reliably.

| root using Toshiba-L750-Stretchi386:/etc/apt# apt-get install rstudio

Your thinko. I have known JJ for nearly ten years, and I have complained
nearly all that time that they need an apt-get'able repo.

Which they don't have, so you read the instructions wrong. Download, then
'sudo dpkg -i' (or do 'sudo gdebi ...' per their instructions).

| Has anyone been able to download and install the server on a 64bit Debian stretch system?

Easily by manual downloads first.