[R-sig-Debian] R 3.6.0 for Debian buster

Johannes Ranke jr@nke @end|ng |rom un|-bremen@de
Mon Apr 29 15:38:40 CEST 2019

Am Montag, 29. April 2019, 15:03:54 CEST schrieb Kurt Hornik:
> >> Thanks.  You may have seen that with current gfortran in
> >> testing/unstable, there are problems with the R BLAS/LAPACK API entries
> >> using a Fortran interface (and hence in particular when using the BLAS
> >> and LAPACK sources that ship with R).
> >
> > No, I wasn't aware of this. Is there a bug report where this is
> > discussed?
>
> Not really, as the issue seems to complicated to condense into a bug
> report.  From discussions with Thomas Koenig from the GCC team, it seems
> that f2c, g77 and now gfortran have always added additional character
> length arguments for each character argument, where the R
> F77_NAME/F77_CALL mechanism has always called with the arguments of the
> Fortran subroutine but without the additional length arguments.  A
> change in gcc trunk also ported to gcc-8-branch apparently changed what
> happened in such case, to the effect that we're now seeing about 25
> CRAN packages fail their run time checks with segfaults or run time
> errors ...
>
> But things are actually hard to pin down for us, and no obvious "fix"
> is in sight.  It would be great if at least for the gfortran-8 that
> Debian will release we would get the old behavior back ...

I think the likelihood of this would be greater if there was a bug against the
version of gfortran in unstable/testing... Can you give a small reproducible
example?

Johannes

> Best
> -k
>
> > Johannes
> >
> >> It seems I can avoid these using
> >> OpenBLAS (but then this really only works find for me provided I setenv
> >> OPENBLAS_NUM_THREADS=1).
> >>
> >> -k

PD Dr. Johannes Ranke
Grenzach-Wyhlen