[R-sig-Debian] debian testing: Problems with R function vignette()

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen kjet||1001 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Apr 8 14:19:10 CEST 2019

Hola!

I am on debian testing, all updates up to date. I am running R via emacs
and ess, so I canot know if this is an R or emacs/ess problem.  What
happens is that I want to read an vignette, and calls something like
    vignette("mle2", package="bbmle")

the pdf file opens (for me in Foxit reader), no problem, but then emacs
starts to spew a lot of spam, interfering with the use of ess/R.  A small
sample:

ScheduleTimerQuery called
GetDntDataTotal sql exec success
GetDntDataQueue sql exec success
SchedulePriorTracktype called
GetDntDataPriorQueue sql exec success
[...]

....  continuing like that without stop.  To get a prompt I have to send
(from emacs "Signals" menu) the EOF signal, and then choosing "cancel".
Then I can continue issuing commands, which get interrupted by the noise
above ... What is happening?

Now I try the same with R running in a Mate terminal, lets see what happens:
vignette("mle2", package="bbmle")
> [TimeStamp]-----main-----begin
sendMessage

Well, ... nothing happens---no problems & no pdf!

Thanks,
Kjetil
This is the output of sessionInfo() at start of session:
sessionInfo()
R version 3.5.2 (2018-12-20)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Matrix products: default
BLAS: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas/libblas.so.3
LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenblasp-r0.3.5.so

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] MASS_7.3-51.3

[1] compiler_3.5.2 fortunes_1.5-4