[R-sig-Debian] libRblas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Sat Sep 22 22:55:45 CEST 2018

On 22 September 2018 at 16:08, Steve Gutreuter wrote:
| R 3.5.1 is installed under Linux Mint 19 from binaries r-base and
| r-base-dev from ubuntu bionic-cran35.  Mysteriously, packages using
| libRblas cannot be compiled.  I get: libRblas.so: cannot open shared
| object file: No such file or directory.  And indeed, I find no libRblas.so.
|
| Any ideas about how to fix this?

What does   sessionInfo()   show?  For me on this computer it is

  R> sessionInfo()
  R version 3.5.1 (2018-07-02)
  Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
  Running under: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

  Matrix products: default
  BLAS: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas/libblas.so.3
  LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenblasp-r0.2.20.so
  [...]

If Mint follows the setup I use for the Debian package, then you _never have
libRblas.so_ because we use the _external_ BLAS.  This allows you to switch
to Atlas (tuned BLAS), OpenBLAS (multithreaded), Intel MKL (multithreaded and
possibly a little faster than OpenBLAS but much bigger), ...