[R-sig-Debian] elpa-ess fails to initialize after update to 18.10 on ubuntu bionic

Chris Sims @im@ @ending from princeton@edu
Tue Oct 23 04:22:43 CEST 2018

The latest ess and elpa-ess 18.10-1bionic0 packages for ubuntu leave
ess unable to find initialization files when it is invoked from R via
M-x R.  I've found a workaround by creating a soft link:

cd /usr/share
sudo ln -s /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/ess-18.10 ess

but this may be a widespread problem.  It appeared on each of the three
computers on which I updated the packages, and survived complete
removal, followed by reinstallation of the packages, and also
reinstallation of elpa-ess alone.  The workaround seems ok on all three
computers.