[R-sig-Debian] Problem Upgrading to R 3.5 on Ubuntu 18.04

Elizabeth Tighe tighe @ending from br@ndei@@edu
Wed Nov 28 18:37:02 CET 2018

Somehow during the process of updating both Ubuntu and R to the latest
versions I ended up with a version of R 3.5 installed into the sudo
user's home directory with default libraries set to the sudo user home
directory as well (/home/uname/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5 rather
than usr/local/lib/R/site-library).

I've tried to remove using sudo apt purge r-base r-base-dev and get a
message that the software is not installed. If I type "R" it opens
version 3.5.  If I go to Ubuntu's graphical interface as sudo user,
Software library, R is listed as installed and if I click on the
"Remove" button, nothing happens ...

Any suggestions on how to expunge this rogue installation and start anew?

Thanks,
Liz

--
Elizabeth Tighe, Ph.D.