[R-sig-Debian] R-SIG-Debian Digest, Vol 152, Issue 4

Johannes Ranke jr@nke @ending from uni-bremen@de
Sun May 13 18:27:36 CEST 2018

Hi,

I wonder if you have read the notes on R 3.5.0 on stretch on

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/

I think this should answer your questions. If not, please let us know.

Johannes

Am Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018, 09:03:13 CEST schrieb Bill Harris:
> > Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 18:02:12 -0500
> > From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
> > To: Matthieu S <matthieu.stigler at gmail.com>
> > Cc: r-sig-debian at r-project.org
> > Subject: Re: [R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu 18.04 bionic: availability of R
> >
> >         Ubuntu packages/ppa?

> > Thanks, we try. Not too much infrastructure that we have built so these
> > transitions can be slow.  On my side, Debian has one schedules but not yet
> > started.
>
> Dirk, all,
>
> I can't say enough about my appreciation of the work you folks do in
> keeping R going so well on Debian.
>
> In these interesting times, I think you're saying that things will resolve
> themselves at some point, but we're in a transition.  I see a number of
> postings on Ubuntu, but I'm on Debian Stretch, trying to figure out the
> safest way to go.  Does something like this make sense:
>

>    1. aptitude safe-upgrade should be safe: there won't be any 3.5.0 Debian
>    packages coming through until the environment is ready for them to come
>    through (which most likely means that base R and other Stretch R packages
> are upgraded to 3.5.0?)..
>    2. update.packages() inside R is /not/ safe, because it could pick up
>    problematic packages from CRAN that aren't under your control.
>    3. install.packages() inside R is /not/ safe, for the same reason.
>    4. A prominent note will be posted here, when these two restrictions are
>    removed.
>
> Are those true statements?  Would steps 2 and 3 work if the packages don't
> require compiled C++ code?  If so, is there a way to tell which packages
> are at risk without memorizing what seems like a very long list?
>
> If we (think we) need a new package we don't currently have installed, are
> we out of luck until 3.5.0 is officially released in Stretch?
>
> Is there a place where an official summary of the state of the R system on
> Stretch is maintained?
>
> I've tried to scan this list, but I may well have missed the answers to my
> questions about Stretch.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bill
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]