[R-sig-Debian] R on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Mon May 7 00:46:25 CEST 2018

Dale,

Thanks for chiming in. Some very personal notes below:

On 6 May 2018 at 17:52, Dale Steele wrote:
| Hi Roman -
|
| Based on advice form the list, here's what I did:
|
| sudo apt purge r-cran-* r-base-*

I usually try my utmost not to.  Once packages are purge you cannot get them
back. I prefer to start an upgrade and back out if need be / if it would
remove package -- my go-to command is 'apt-get dist-upgrade' which allows that.

| sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter3.5
| sudo apt-get update
|
| sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/c2d4u3.5
| sudo apt-get update

Yes though Michael has not yet announced these or declared them ready.

| dpkg -l | grep r-cran-*
|
| sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
|
| Added my account to the 'staff' group, so that I can install
| non-recommended packages in R without 'sudo R'
| http://www.maketecheasier.com/add-remove-user-to-groups-in-ubuntu/
| http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5560139/install-r-
| package-xml-in-debian-ubuntu
|
| sudo usermod -a -G staff myusername
| logout and restart

Good point. And often forgotten.

| Many packages are becoming available in the c2d4u3.5 repository. I've
| built/rebuild mostly from CRAN.
| However, to add pre-built binaries:
|
| sudo apt-get install r-cran-packagename
|
| Finally ... rebuild existing packages in '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
| > update.packages(checkBuilt= TRUE)

Yep.

| One issues, to update recommended packages in '/usr/lib/R/site-library,,
| must start R as sudoer, ie. 'sudo R'

Actually, no!  Those are the ones from r-cran-* packages, and I would leave
those alone.

More below ..

| Best.  --Dale
|

| On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Aguirre Perez, Roman <ra454 at exeter.ac.uk>
| wrote:
|
| > Hi everyone,
| >
| > first of all, my sincerest thanks for the maintainers of this massive
| > project. Such a compelling task!
| >
| > Briefly, I’m a PhD student working on Spatial Stats who loves R. Last week
| > I decided to install and use Ubuntu (again). Consequently, I install the
| > latest release (18.04) and tried to install R 3.5.0 as well but
| > (un)fortunately I couldn’t.
| >
| > I have used R within Ubuntu and I use to follow the installation procedure
| > suggested in the R-project website. However, this time was a bit different.
| > I realised I was missing a key fact. There’s plenty of work behind making
| > available R packages for Ubuntu! It briefly showed up in front of my eyes
| > the meaning of each installation step. That’s why I’m here. So I would
| > really appreciate you to enlighten me with your knowledge. I really want to
| > go in depth on the relationship R-Ubuntu. Btw, any resource for learning is
| > more than welcome.
| >
| > In this sense, which is the meaning of starting to install R by adding
| >
| > deb https://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/ubuntu bionic/<
| > https://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/ubuntu%20bionic/>
| >
| > in the source.list file?

That is a basic Ubuntu / Debian question. Try googling for some tutorials on
'how to I add repositories to Ubuntu' (or Debian).

| > I realised that I’m able to compile
| >
| > sudo apt-get install r-base
| >
| > without doing the first step. Which is the difference between each one?

That you get a pre-built binary (with more bells and whistles) and don't need
to compile.

That is called 'package managment' (at the Debian / Ubuntu level).  Again,
tty some tutorials there.  This is orthogonal to R use.

Dirk