[R-sig-Debian] Two questions on r-base-3.5 transition

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed May 2 22:27:22 CEST 2018

Dear R debian maintainers!

As maintainer of rkward, I will be affected by the "r-base-3.5"
transition. Could you help me by answering the following two questions?

1) Is there any (upper / lower) time estimate on when 3.5.0 will enter
sid? I have at least one somewhat-important-but-easy-to-fix-issue
pending for rkward. So far I figured I would delay this until R 3.5.0
has entered sid, and I need to make a new upload, anyway. Now I'm
starting to wonder, how much delay that will actually mean.

2) In principle, rkward will build fine for anything from R 3.0.0
upwards, and it is not hard to support this in the debian packaging
(with appropriate deps, of course). I am wondering, whether or not this
is a good idea wrt to the transition, though. Should I make my next
upload build-depend on r-base-core >= 3.5.0, or should I keep it
flexible?

Regards
Thomas