[R-sig-Debian] r-base-dev not installing in Ubuntu 16.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Wed Jun 13 22:23:28 CEST 2018

On 13 June 2018 at 20:54, Robin Lovelace wrote:
| I have recently re-installed R on my Ubuntu system to get R 3.5 and found
| this to have worked:
|
| # you may need to remove incumbent repos e.g. with:
| sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:marutter/rrutter
|
| # add new repos
| sudo apt-add-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter3.5 # for base R
| sudo apt-add-repository ppa:marutter/c2d4u4.5  # for pkgs - this saved me
| lots of time installing my set-up

*Very* good point.  Given that what Michael does is outside of the distro, we
 are lacking some bells and whistles -- and moreover some check and balances
 I get thrown at me from within the distro and its quality checks.

So one thing we had run into was inconsistent versioning  so the "old" PPAs
may have shadowed the new one with the dh-r version wanted -- but 'hidden'
behind a higher version number. (This can happens as the version strings get
expanded with Ubuntu distro strings added etc pp).

So an implicit "reset" by only looking at one pair is a very good ides,

| At the end of it these are the only R-related repos I have:
|
| apt policy | grep 3.5
|
| # 500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/rrutter3.5/ubuntu xenial/main i386
| Packages
| #     release
| v=16.04,o=LP-PPA-marutter-rrutter3.5,a=xenial,n=xenial,l=RRutter
| v3.5,c=main,b=i386
| # 500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/rrutter3.5/ubuntu xenial/main amd64
| Packages
| #     release
| v=16.04,o=LP-PPA-marutter-rrutter3.5,a=xenial,n=xenial,l=RRutter
| v3.5,c=main,b=amd64
| # 500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/c2d4u3.5/ubuntu xenial/main i386
| Packages
| #     release
| v=16.04,o=LP-PPA-marutter-c2d4u3.5,a=xenial,n=xenial,l=cran2deb4ubuntu_3.5,c=main,b=i386
| # 500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/c2d4u3.5/ubuntu xenial/main amd64
| Packages
| #     release
| v=16.04,o=LP-PPA-marutter-c2d4u3.5,a=xenial,n=xenial,l=cran2deb4ubuntu_3.5,c=main,b=amd64
|
| Hope this helps. Please add-to this advice anyone who's more experienced
| than me in this.

Now why does a serious man like you still run 16.04 though?  ;-)

| Thanks to all involved in getting this working and documented.

Our pleasure.

Dirk