[R-sig-Debian] Segfault on ubuntu 18.04

Göran Broström gor@n@bro@trom @ending from umu@@e
Fri Jul 6 21:52:54 CEST 2018

Den 2018-07-06 kl. 17:51, skrev Göran Broström:

> Den 2018-07-06 kl. 17:43, skrev Henrik Bengtsson:
>> On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 8:18 AM Göran Broström <goran.brostrom using umu.se>
>> wrote:

>>> I suspect that too, since the segfault does _not_ occur if run  R
>>> via RStudio. _But_, I have run 'update.packages(checkBuilt =
>>> TRUE)', and that should take care of reinstalling, right?
>>>
>>> Maybe it somehow is an issue with devtools::install_github.
>>
>> If you follow the error traceback (from the bottom of the stack to
>> the top), the most recent package involved is 'curl'.  It appears
>> that the segfault occurs when it is loaded.  You probably get the
>> same if you attempt:
>>
>> library(curl)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't crash anything.
>
>> in a fresh R session.  If so, as Dirk suggests:
>>
>>> We _know_ R 3.5.* requires _all_ binary packages to be reinstalled
>>> and it is easy to miss one.
>>
>> make sure to reinstall 'curl'.  If that solves it, it's likely that
>> other packages have the same issue, so you probably want to start
>> from a clean slate and wipe your current package library, e.g.
>> unlink(.libPaths()[1], recursive = TRUE).
>
> Maybe I should do that anyway.

I did this and removed anything related to R and reinstalled. Then, in R,

 > install.packages("curl")

and got

Error: package or namespace load failed for 'curl' in dyn.load(file,
DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
  unable to load shared object
'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/curl/libs/curl.so':
   /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/curl/libs/curl.so: undefined symbol:
curl_easy_escape
Error: loading failed

I have installed curl, libcurl4, libcurl4-openssl-dev.

Göran