[R-sig-Debian] Segfault on ubuntu 18.04

Henrik Bengtsson henrik@bengt@@on @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Jul 6 17:43:21 CEST 2018

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 8:18 AM Göran Broström <goran.brostrom using umu.se> wrote:

> Den 2018-07-06 kl. 16:28, skrev Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> >
> > On 6 July 2018 at 12:31, Enrico Schumann wrote: | Just as one more
> > datapoint: I cannot reproduce the segfault, with | R 3.5.1 on
> > (L)Ubuntu 18.04. (I use the Ubuntu package, i.e. I did not | build
> > from source.)
> >
> > I have been a little too busy and have not yet upgraded to 18.04 so I
> > can't attempt to replicate -- but it _looks_ just like a garden
> > variety binary mismatch.
> >
> > We _know_ R 3.5.* requires _all_ binary packages to be reinstalled
> > and it is easy to miss one.  So unless Göran shows us a generally
> > reproducible bug I will suspect that this is simply a local
> > deployment issue.
>
> I suspect that too, since the segfault does _not_ occur if run  R  via
> RStudio. _But_, I have run 'update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)', and
> that should take care of reinstalling, right?
>
> Maybe it somehow is an issue with devtools::install_github.

If you follow the error traceback (from the bottom of the stack to the
top), the most recent package involved is 'curl'.  It appears that the
segfault occurs when it is loaded.  You probably get the same if you
attempt:

    library(curl)

in a fresh R session.  If so, as Dirk suggests:

> We _know_ R 3.5.* requires _all_ binary packages to be reinstalled
> and it is easy to miss one.

make sure to reinstall 'curl'.  If that solves it, it's likely that
other packages have the same issue, so you probably want to start from
a clean slate and wipe your current package library, e.g.
unlink(.libPaths()[1], recursive = TRUE).

/Henrik