[R-sig-Debian] lost ability to apt-get install r-base=3.4.2-1trusty1

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 17 12:48:34 CET 2018

On 17 January 2018 at 09:42, Thierry Onkelinx wrote:
| Dear Krzysztof,
|
| I would suggest to have a look at Docker images.
| https://hub.docker.com/r/rocker/r-ver/ provides images for different
| versions of R.

Indeed!  And see eg our forthcoming / in-print R Journal paper with some
details, background, motivation, ... on both Rocker and "versioned" images:

   https://rjournal.github.io/archive/2017/RJ-2017-065/index.html

| You could even create your own image with all the
| packages and other dependencies that you need. See e.g. our image at
| https://hub.docker.com/r/inbobmk/rstable/

Yep. Ubuntu simply cannot offer you the ability to get _any odd version_ of
your choosing at any odd time.  Debian, with its volunteers, has something
like that in the "Snapshot" repository at

   http://snapshot.debian.org/

but Debian also cuts releases differently.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org