[R-sig-Debian] ess 17.11-3 won't install on Ubuntu 16.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Mon Aug 20 23:16:49 CEST 2018

On 20 August 2018 at 23:06, Göran Broström wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
| On 2018-08-20 17:43, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > On 20 August 2018 at 15:29, Eva Myers wrote:
| > | Hello,
| > | Attempting to install ess (17.11-3xenial0) on our Ubuntu 16.04 systems
| > | is failing with an error message.
| >
| > This can happen. I (with my Debian hat on) had to make 17.11-3 because the
| > ess package did not behave with Debian untable and Emacs 26.2. It does now.
| >
| > Changes can have side effects. Turn out that in this case 16.04 is
| > affected.
|
| And 18.04. I get exactly the same error message as Eva.
|
| > Your easiest recourse would be to not use this package, but the
| > (much older) ESS from 16.04, or an older release (and then put it on 'hold'
| > to supress updates).
| >
| > There will be a newer elpa-ess which may work for you (or not). You could try
| > these:
| >
| >    http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/elpa-ess_17.11-4_all.deb
| >    http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/ess_17.11-4_all.deb
| >
| > and you need both. "Works for me" on 18.04.  Not tested on 16.04. YMMV.
|
| "Works for me" too.

These are now in Debian's "experimental". If nothing creeps up I'll upload
17.11-5 to unstable soon.

Would be good to know if it works on 16.04 too.  Does that have support for
elpa-* packages for Emacs?

Dirk

| Göran
|
| > Dirk
| >
| > | root using kore:/home/eva# apt-get install ess
| > | [...]
| > | Install ess for emacs24
| > | install/ess: Handling install for emacsen flavor emacs24
| > | ERROR: install script from ess package failed
| > | dpkg: error processing package ess (--configure):
| > |  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
| > | Errors were encountered while processing:
| > |  ess
| > | E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
| > |
| > |
| > | Installing the previous version worked perfectly.  The relevant
| > | sources.list line is
| > |
| > | deb https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial/
| > |
| > | What is causing this error and how can it be fixed?
| > | Thanks,
| > | Eva.
| > |