[R-sig-Debian] ess 17.11-3 won't install on Ubuntu 16.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Mon Aug 20 17:43:52 CEST 2018

On 20 August 2018 at 15:29, Eva Myers wrote:
| Hello,
| Attempting to install ess (17.11-3xenial0) on our Ubuntu 16.04 systems
| is failing with an error message.

This can happen. I (with my Debian hat on) had to make 17.11-3 because the
ess package did not behave with Debian untable and Emacs 26.2. It does now.

Changes can have side effects. Turn out that in this case 16.04 is
affected. Your easiest recourse would be to not use this package, but the
(much older) ESS from 16.04, or an older release (and then put it on 'hold'
to supress updates).

There will be a newer elpa-ess which may work for you (or not). You could try
these:

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/elpa-ess_17.11-4_all.deb
  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/ess_17.11-4_all.deb

and you need both. "Works for me" on 18.04.  Not tested on 16.04. YMMV.

Dirk