[R-sig-Debian] Please be careful with R 3.4.2 upgrades via CRAN, launchpad, ...

Johannes Ranke johannes.ranke at jrwb.de
Sat Sep 30 04:21:40 CEST 2017

Am Freitag, 29. September 2017, 16:20:37 CEST schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> On 29 September 2017 at 14:50, Michael Rutter wrote:
> | Corrected packages are now on the RRutter PPA (
> | https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/rrutter) and soon on CRAN
> | mirrors.
> |
> | If you have any issues or questions, please let me know.
>
> Nice work--thanks so much for the prompt attention. We should be back in
> business, having overriden the tag to r-api-3. We'll deal with the tag
> transition when we have to for R 3.5.0 and its changes.

Wow, both of you were fast again. Nice indeed.

For the backports of R 3.4.2 to Debian, I am going for the r-api-3.4 tag from
Debian unstable. As of now (this was obviously going on today), all reverse
dependencies at level 1 (including the recommended packages) of r-api-* have
been adapted to depend on r-api-3.4 in unstable. In addition, all recommended
packages (even if at higher dependency levels) have been adapted as well.

  https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/r-base-3.4.html

I noticed that rkward, littler, rpy and rpy2 do not depend on r-api-* at all,
so they do not get picked up by the transition.

Johannes

> Dirk
>
> | Michael
> |
> | On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
> | > So I now have this on my laptop
> | >
> | >    edd at brad:~$ apt-cache policy r-base-core
> | >
> | >    r-base-core:
> | >      Installed: 3.4.2-1zesty0.1
> | >      Candidate: 3.4.2-1zesty0.1
> | >
> | >      Version table:
> | >     *** 3.4.2-1zesty0.1 500
> | >
> | >            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/edd/misc/ubuntu zesty/main amd64
> | >
> | > Packages
> | >
> | >            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> | >
> | >         3.4.1-2zesty0 500
> | >
> | >            500 http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu zesty/
> | >            Packages
> | >
> | >         3.4.1-1zesty0 500
> | >
> | >            500 http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu zesty/
> | >            Packages
> | >
> | >         3.4.0-1zesty 500
> | >
> | >            500 http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu zesty/
> | >            Packages
> | >
> | >         3.3.2-1 500
> | >
> | >            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/universe amd64
> | >
> | > Packages
> | >
> | >    edd at brad:~$
> | >
> | > and I have launched rebuilds for xenial (16.04) and trusty (14.04) which
> | > should complete, possibly after another level of adjustments.
> | >
> | > These use r-api-3 and work for the "here and now". Use
> | >
> | >     sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:edd/misc
> | >
> | > We may propagate these for to the usual 'rrutter' and then CRAN repos
> | > too,
> | > and will take it from there to figure out how to get r-api-3.4.
> | >
> | > I'm sorry for the disruption. My hand was a little forced but I should
> | > have
> | > considered these consequences too.
> | >
> | > Dirk
> | >
> | > --