[R-sig-Debian] Please be careful with R 3.4.2 upgrades via CRAN, launchpad, ...

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Sep 29 14:50:36 CEST 2017

So I now have this on my laptop

   edd at brad:~$ apt-cache policy r-base-core
   r-base-core:
     Installed: 3.4.2-1zesty0.1
     Candidate: 3.4.2-1zesty0.1
     Version table:
    *** 3.4.2-1zesty0.1 500
           500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/edd/misc/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages
           100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
        3.4.1-2zesty0 500
           500 http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu zesty/ Packages
        3.4.1-1zesty0 500
           500 http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu zesty/ Packages
        3.4.0-1zesty 500
           500 http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu zesty/ Packages
        3.3.2-1 500
           500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/universe amd64 Packages
   edd at brad:~$

and I have launched rebuilds for xenial (16.04) and trusty (14.04) which
should complete, possibly after another level of adjustments.

These use r-api-3 and work for the "here and now". Use

    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:edd/misc

We may propagate these for to the usual 'rrutter' and then CRAN repos too,
and will take it from there to figure out how to get r-api-3.4.

I'm sorry for the disruption. My hand was a little forced but I should have
considered these consequences too.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org