[R-sig-Debian] Problem when installing lme4 under Debian stretch

Johannes Ranke johannes.ranke at jrwb.de
Sat Oct 21 23:04:00 CEST 2017

Hi,

apparently you are using the backport of R 3.4.2, which provides r-api-3.4.
With this backport installed, you cannot use the binary packages from the
stretch archive.

> | The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> |  r-cran-car : Depends: r-api-3
> |
> |               Depends: r-cran-pbkrtest but it is not going to be installed
> |               Depends: r-cran-quantreg but it is not going to be installed
> |
> | E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> |

> | Given the message, should I assume that lme4 (and car) cannot be installed
> | on my setup?  Many thanks in advance!

You should still be able to install car from within R, which you tried. On my
raspi system using the unofficial Debian stretch image from

  https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi3

I had to install ed (apt install ed) in order to get the dependency nloptr to
compile. Now the compilation of the dependency RcppEigen is running (which
seems to have failed or was interrupted on your system, judging by the error
message you posted). Surely more than five minutes ago my raspi started to
compile the file fastLm.cpp ...

I will let you know if I succeed. But Dirk is right when he points out that
the efficiency of using such a system to compile lots of source packages is
questionable. Maybe it would be a solution to deinstall the backport, remove
the stretch-cran34 line from your sources.list and install everything from the
stretch archive. R version 3.3.3 from stretch is still sort of recent...

Johannes

> It looks like you may have repos mixed, or they are out of sync.
>
> The r-base-core you use should provide r-api-3.  Maybe it is newer and it
> offers r-api-3.4 -- which the r-cran-car you try to install does not yet
> depend on.  So the repo may be out of sync.
>
> If that is the case -- well I was forced to add r-api-3.4 which creates this
> bug "because it would make things better".  I disagreed but was overruled.
> It all depends.
>
> For what it is worth, on my Ubuntu box on which I type this, both 'apt-cache
> show r-base-core' and 'apt-cache show r-cran-cran' want r-api-3.
>
> On Debian testing is should match too.  Maybe the Raspian repo you have
> needs to catch up.
>
> Dirk
>
> | On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
> | > I would start with the _binary_ package you can install via
> | >
> | >    sudo apt-get install r-cran-car
> | >
> | > which will take care of all dependecies.
> | >
> | > Building some of these package on small hardware can be challenging
> | > simply
> | > due to lack of RAM --- and ditto for minimal cloud instances with small
> | > RAM
> | > footprint.  Use binaries where you can if you hardware cannot cope.
> | >
> | > Dirk
> | >
> | > --
> | > http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org
> |
> | 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]