[R-sig-Debian] Package selectr: issue with the apt-get version, but not with the one installed from R?

Michael Rutter marutter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 01:41:37 CET 2017

On 03/22/2017 02:54 PM, Matthieu S wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am facing an issue with the package selectr, where I get an error trying
> to run an example code: css_to_xpath(".testclass"), gives could not find
> function "xpath_class"
>
> The issue arises however only with the package installed with apt-get, not
> when installed from within R. I got a similar issue with maptools, where I
> was not able to use data(wrld_map), and switching to the version "from
> within R" version did solve the issue in the same way.
>
> Note that I posted the issue some time ago on stack-overflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40874011/r-rvest-could-not-find-function-xpath-element/42960170#42960170
> but now that I pinned the issue down to the apt-get versus R, I hope I can
> ask on this list?  For the apt-get, I have cran sources added, as well as
> Michael's ppa http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/rrutter/ubuntu and
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/marutter/c2d4u/ubuntu

Matthieu,

A new version of r-cran-selectr is on the PPA.  I think it fixes the
issue you had.  Not sure if it is correct, but I am getting a different
result that does not appear to be an error.

Turns out that there is a dependency on codetools that is not listed on
CRAN.  This is why your local version (which likely has codetools
installed) worked and not the one built on the PPA.  But that has been
fixed, and will be for all future versions.